Sunday, April 15, 2012

Lasting examples

The other night we'd finished dinner and were in the middle of the daily "toy hunting" ritual prior to bathtime.  I come back into the lounge room and SP is sitting there on the couch with a ring of cushions around him, though also with a noticeable gap.


I asked if I could sit down and he pointed at the spot beside him in the cushion ring.  Without any prompting he then looks me square in the face and says very matter-of-factly "now it's time to talk.  What was your high low and interesting today daddy?"


He's seen Petrina and me doing high/low/interesting over dinner countless times, but never seemed to be all that keen on it - partly I guess because the "low" would mean remembering something that didn't make him happy.  But it turns out that he was taking it all in, and he's getting the idea that talking about things is important.  And that's encouraging when I think about all the other lessons we'd like him to take in right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to know what you think of this post.

Here's how to add your comment:
- Enter your comment in the box below.
- Click on the triangle next to the 'Comment as:' box to tell us who you are. You can sign in if you have a google or other account, enter your name and URL if you have a website, or just click 'Anonymous'.
- Click 'Publish'.