Thursday, July 29, 2010

Romans 1:1-17, Part 1

Key Verse: Romans 1:16-17
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."
There's a lot in the first 17 verses of Romans! Some things we talked about at Bible Study:

Paul is an ambassador to the Romans, from God. He has the authority to bring them God's message. Which is...

The gospel. I discovered that I shouldn't criticise Paul's wordiness when I can't do any better. My supposedly 'simple statement' to summarise the gospel was:
'a powerful message, previously promised by the prophets, which Paul now preaches on behalf of God and his Son, about his Son, which reveals God's righteousness and plan for salvation for all.'
Yeah, not very simple. And there's lots that I missed. I guess that's why we have the whole book of Romans to fully explain it. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

I'm on creche on Sunday but I'll try very hard to listen to, or at least read, the sermon on Monday sometime. Stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to know what you think of this post.

Here's how to add your comment:
- Enter your comment in the box below.
- Click on the triangle next to the 'Comment as:' box to tell us who you are. You can sign in if you have a google or other account, enter your name and URL if you have a website, or just click 'Anonymous'.
- Click 'Publish'.